WHAT IS THE ZONE DIET®?
The Zone Diet® was developed by Dr. Barry Sears more than 30 years ago to reduce diet-induced inflammation.
1. Excess dietary caloric intake causing oxidative stress.
2. Excess dietary intake of omega-6 fatty acids that promote inflammation.
3. Excess dietary intake of the saturated fatty acids, especially palmitic acid, that promote inflammation.
4. Lack of dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids that promote inflammation.
5. Lack of dietary intake of polyphenols to activate anti-oxidative genes to reduce oxidative stress.
6. Lack of dietary intake of polyphenols to promote gut health.
7. Lack of dietary intake of fermentable fiber to promote gut health.
The more of these factors you have in your diet, the more likely you are to have increasing levels of diet-inflammation.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products that help reduce “diet-induced inflammation” are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, mitigate, or prevent any disease.
1. Boden G et al. “Excessive caloric intake acutely causes oxidative stress, GLUT-4 carbonylation, and insulin resistance in healthy men.” Sci Trans Med 7:304 (2015).
2. Patterson E et al. “Health implications of high dietary omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.” J Nutr Metab 2012:53942 (2012).
3. Gupta S et al. “Saturated long-chain fatty acids activate inflammatory signaling in astrocytes.” J Neurochem 120:1060-1071 (2012).
4. Simopoulos A. “Omega-3 fatty acids in inflammation and auto-immune diseases.” J Amer College Nutr 21:495-505 (2002).
5. Rahman I et al. “Regulation of inflammatory and redox signaling by dietary polyphenols.” Biochem Pharmacol 72:1439-1452 (2006).
6. Duda-Chodak A et al. “Interaction of dietary compounds, especially polyphenols, with the intestinal microbiota.” Eur J Nutr 54: 325-341 (2015).
7. Slavin J. “Fiber and prebiotics: mechanisms and health benefits.” Nutrients 5:1417-1435 (2013).
WHAT IS THE ZONE?
The Zone™ is a real physiological state in your body that can be measured in clinical tests. If you are in the Zone, you have optimized your ability to control diet-induced inflammation. This inflammation is the reason you gain weight, become sick, and age faster.
There are three clinical markers that define if you are in the Zone. If all three clinical markers are within their ideal values, you are in the Zone. Otherwise, you are not.
|Clinical Marker||Ideal Value||What It Indicates||How to Test Yourself|
From your diet.
|< 1||Level of insulin resistance in the liver.||Typically included with normal blood work within your cholesterol panel. Ask your doctor.|
From your diet & fish oil.
|1.5-3||Level of diet-induced Inflammation in the body.||Take the Zone Labs Cellular Inflammation Test.|
From your diet & polyphenols.
|5%||Level of Advanced Glycoslated Endproducts (AGE) tied to your blood glucose.||To measure your level of blood sugar over a three-month period, ask your doctor.|
Based on these values, less than 1% of Americans are able to manage diet-induced inflammation and fall within the parameters of the Zone. In the Zone, you will live a longer and better life because you are controlling diet-induced inflammation. That is the secret to maintaining wellness.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING IN THE ZONE?
Benefits of being in the Zone include:
- Losing excess body fat at the fastest possible rate
- Maintaining wellness for a longer period of time
- Performing better
- Thinking faster
- Slowing down the rate of aging
Controlling diet-induced inflammation is a life-long effort. It is inflammation that disrupts the hormonal communication in our cells that prevents us from reaching peak performance. Making the dietary changes to reach the Zone and stay there may initially appear difficult, but are well worth the effort.
At Zone Labs, we provide the dietary products, continuing education, and personal consultation to make getting into the Zone easier.
HOW THE ZONE DIET WORKS
The Zone Diet requires that you simply balance your plate at every meal and snack with these nutrients:
- Protein – 1/3rd of your plate, add some lean protein, about the size and thickness of your palm. This could include egg whites, fish, poultry, lean beef or low-fat dairy.
- Carbohydrates – 2/3rds of your plate, add a lot colorful vegetables and a little fruit. Fruits and vegetables to avoid are those that are high in sugar (e.g., bananas, carrots, grapes, raisins) or starchy (e.g., potatoes, corn).
- Fat – Add a little bit of monounsaturated fat. This could include olive oil, avocado, or almonds.
ZONE FOOD PYRAMID
By restricting grains and starches and maximizing fruits and vegetables, those on the Zone diet will observe dramatic hormonal and anti-inflammatory benefits. If you balance your plate according to the Zone Diet blueprint, you end up with a Zone Food Pyramid that looks like the following:
The Zone Food Pyramid helps assure an optimal protein-to-glycemic load balance for improved hormonal control. Furthermore, it assures you have ample polyphenol levels in your diet. Polyphenol intake is important in controlling the bacteria composition of our digestive system, as well activating anti-inflammatory and anti-aging genes.
Learn the science about the Zone Food Pyramid Biochemical Impact.
ZONE DIET ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SUPPLEMENTS
As powerful as the Zone Diet® is, it is just one of three parts of the complete Zone Anti-Inflammatory Nutrition Program required to manage diet-induced inflammation for a lifetime.
Zone Diet® benefits can be enhanced with anti-inflammatory supplements. The two most powerful are ultra-refined omega-3 fatty acids, such as OmegaRx®2 Fish Oil, and purified polyphenol supplements, such as MaquiRx®. Collectively, these three distinct dietary components provide what is required to stay in the Zone.
- The Zone Diet® – Controls hormonal balance to reduce the generation of diet-induced inflammation. Consider replacing your daily pasta with Zone PastaRx Fusilli or Orzo, as it provides superior hunger control with 20 grams of protein per serving.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Increase the resolution of diet-induced inflammation with OmegaRx Fish Oil. Check your AA/EPA ratio with the Zone Blood Kit.
AA/EPA Ratio Cellular Inflammation Future Wellness 1.5 to 3.0 Low Excellent 3.1 to 6.0 Moderate Good 6.1 to 15 Elevated Moderate Greater than 15 High Poor
- Polyphenols – Control gut biology and slow the aging process with MaquiRx or other Zone polyphenol supplements.
Each of the three components of the Zone program is powerful in its own right, but working together, they provide a powerful dietary roadmap to get you to the Zone where diet-induced inflammation can be controlled throughout your life.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Combining the Zone Diet® with anti-inflammatory supplements provides the basis for the Zone Anti-Inflammatory Nutrition Program, which takes you back to the beginning of modern medicine when Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.”
We finally have the breakthroughs in molecular biology to understand the power of those words and the importance of being in the Zone. The Zone Diet® makes it possible with the least effort on your part.
Losing excess body fat, maintaining wellness, improving athletic performance, or slowing the rate of aging are dependent on your ability to reduce diet-induced inflammation. We understand that changing your diet can be difficult. At Zone Labs, we provide you the products, continuing dietary education, and personal support that make dietary change possible for you.
BE EVEN MORE PRECISE
Want to have an even stronger connection to the Zone?
- Make your own meals – When cooking, consult the Zone Food Block Guide, or access hundreds of Zone Recipes.
- Determine how much protein you need to maintain your muscle mass – use our Body Fat Calculator. Then spread the recommended amount of protein you need throughout the day, balancing it with the correct amount of colorful carbohydrates.
- Use our Insulin Resistance Quiz to determine your extent of insulin resistance, and receive clinically-based dietary recommendations that may help reduce your levels of insulin resistance.
Always start with the Zone Diet® as your dietary foundation. Then use our recommended food and supplement products to get even better results to optimize your health and nutrition.