This tempting cod and apple crisp recipe is from Dr. Daniela Morandi author of Il Bello Della ZONA, a Zone Italian cookbook.
- For the cod:
- 1 cup Onion - sliced thin
- 1 clove Garlic - crushed
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 12 oz Cod
- Salt and pepper - (to taste)
- 2 cups Green beans - cleaned, chopped
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1/2 tsp Saffron threads
- 3 cups Arugula - (1 bunch), cleaned, chopped
- 1 tbsp Chives - chopped
- 1 tbsp Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil - drizzle
- For the apple crisp:
- 2 Apples
- 1 tbsp Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp Pine nuts
- 2 tbsps Raisins
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Lightly sauté onion and garlic in a skillet with 2 teaspoons oil.
- Cut cod into 3 fillets, place in the skillet, add salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Add cleaned chopped green beans to skillet.
- Add wine and saffron and cover, cooking over medium heat for about 8 minutes.
- Uncover and remove cod to plates.
- Add the cleaned and chopped arugula to the skillet, mixing it into the rest of the sauce. Pour all over the cod fillets.
- Garnish with chives and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Wash, peel and grate the apples.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Add the pine nuts, raisins, and sesame seeds and mix.
- Transfer mixture to a baking pan and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Serve as a dessert at the end of the meal.