Two great meals combined in one; chicken fajitas and stuffed peppers. You may buy or roast your own peppers for this recipe.
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Lime - zested and juiced
- 3 tsps Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil - divided
- 14 oz Boneless skinless chicken breasts – cut into strips
- 1/2 Avocado - diced
- 1/4 cup 0%-Fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsps Fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1 large Onion - sliced
- 4 Whole roasted bell peppers - or raw
- 1 cup Black beans - rinsed and drained
- 16 Cherry tomatoes - sliced
- 2 tbsps Fresh cilantro - chopped
- 4 Nectarines
If roasting your own peppers, see below first.
- Combine chili, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic powder in a bowl and mix it well for a rub. (You can grind it in a clean coffee grinder).
- Add lime zest, lime juice, and the 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Pour over chicken, cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- In a deep bowl add avocado, yogurt, and lime juice blended with a stick blender or food processor.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of cilantro, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions for 10 minutes, until light golden brown in color, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add chicken to the same pan and sauté until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked onions, beans, and tomatoes to the pan and stir and cook until mixed for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Place one pepper on a dinner plate, fill with one cup of chicken and vegetables.
- Top with a heaping tablespoon of the avocado/cilantro mixture.
Roasted Red Peppers:
- To roast your own peppers, place whole, clean, dry peppers in a 400°F oven until they are charred on all sides, turning as needed (about 15 minutes total).
- Remove the charred pepper from heat, transfer to a paper bag and fold over the top several times. The residual heat of the peppers loosens the skin.
- Leave in bag for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and pull the skin, seeds, and core away from the flesh.
- Rinse well.