Delightful stuffed eggplant dish is topped with a pear and is paired with a salad.
- 1 Pear - halved, sliced thin
- 2 tbsps Fresh squeezed lemon juice - or lime (to soak the pear to prevent browning)
- 3 (1/2-lb) Eggplants
- 6 oz Ground turkey breast
- 1 tbsp Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion - finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves - peeled and minced
- 1 small Zucchini - chopped
- 8 oz Mushrooms - sliced
- Black pepper - to taste
- 1/2 cup Tomato sauce
- 1 cup Diced canned tomatoes - (or 4 plum [Roma] tomatoes, peeled, deseeded, and diced)
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 2 oz Low-fat pepper jack cheese - 1/2 cup shredded
- 3 tbsps Grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Small Side Salad with Dressing - (see recipe in sides and snacks)
Total Fat 12g
- Slice the pear and soak in lemon juice until you serve the salad. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cook ground meat and set aside.
- Trim the stems from the eggplant and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the pulp from the center of each half, leaving about 1/2-inch of flesh. Cut the eggplant pulp into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place a large sauté pan over moderate heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, black pepper, and cubed eggplant. Cook, stirring until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, thyme, and basil; heat through.
- Lightly spray the cut edges of the eggplant with nonstick cooking spray then spoon one-sixth of the vegetable mixture into each shell.
- Top each eggplant with one-sixth of the pepper jack and Parmesan.
- Place the stuffed eggplants in the prepared baking pan and bake until the eggplant is hot and the cheese is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the Small Side Salad with Dressing and set aside.
- Top with pear just before you serve.
- You may add the lemon juice to the salads.