Most caponata recipes include olives as part of the fat source; however, for this dish I have omitted the olives and use olive oil or avocado oil. Thank my grandmother for this, who would serve this as a side during Easter.
- 1 medium Eggplant (20 oz)
- 3/4 cup Celery
- 3/4 cup Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Zucchini (1 1/2C chopped)
- 3/4 cup Red bell peppers - chopped
- 1 tbsp Capers
- Sea salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 tbsps Water - purified
- 3 tbsps Tomato paste
- 2 tbsps White wine vinegar
- 6 oz Cooked chicken breast - left over or Perdue Shortcuts (1 1/4 cup)
- 1 Orange - shared
- Cut veggies into bite-sized pieces then add to Pyrex microwaveable container. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add all the remaining caponata ingredients except for the tomato paste and vinegar.
- Cover and microwave on high for 15 minutes, turning once to stir mid-point, around 7 minutes.
- When finished cooking, remove cover from Pyrex and stir in tomato paste and vinegar.
Yields 2 cups of caponata.