A warm nourishing beef stew just like Mother used to make, minus the potatoes to make it more in the Zone.
- 1 1/2 tsps Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 oz Boneless beef - cubed
- 1 1/2 cups Onion - finely sliced
- 2 Carrots - chopped
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves Garlic - pressed or chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Red wine
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Diced tomatoes - with juice
- 3/4 cup Kitchen Basics unsalted beef stock
- Salt and pepper - (to taste)
- 2 Red bell peppers - cut into strips
Total Fat 11g
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an ovenproof skillet brown meat in olive oil.
- Remove and add onion and carrots. Cook until onion softens.
- Add parsley and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Return meat to pan and mix veggies with meat.
- Stir in bay leaf, thyme and nutmeg.
- Add wine and bring to boil, stirring 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove and add red pepper and cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.