You may replace cabbage with broccoli and/or cauliflower florets in this mouthwatering beef goulash recipe.
- 2 cups Onion - diced or cut into half moon slices
- 2 Garlic cloves - minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 12 oz Beef round steak - stew meat or top eye, or sirloin tip steak, cubed
- 1 cup Kitchen Basics unsalted beef stock
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Diced tomatoes - canned, no-salt tomatoes or chunky tomatoes with garlic and green chili peppers
- 1/4 cup Tomato paste - no salt added
- 2 tbsps Paprika - Hungarian (mild or hot type)
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds - or fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 8 cups Shredded red cabbage - and/or green
- 1/2 to 1 cup Water - filtered
- 1/2 cup Avocado - seeded, diced
- 2 tbsps Lime juice - of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup Cranberry-raspberry sauce Mott's - or 1 pre-packaged cup per person
- 1 tbsp Walnuts - toasted, crushed
Total Fat 12g
- Layer the onions, garlic, bay leaf and stew meat in 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker. Combine broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, caraway or fennel seeds, pepper, and sea salt in a small bowl. Stir and pour over meat in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- Bring water to boil in a 2-quart saucepan fitted with a metal vegetable steamer/basket. Add cabbage. Cover and steam over medium heat until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk avocado and lime together until smooth.
- Divide applesauce among 4 small dishes and garnish with nuts. Divide cabbage among 4 large soup bowls, then top with Goulash and Avocado Sour Cream and serve.