By Dr. Barry Sears:
The challenge of each Zone Cruise is the blending of the old with the new. This year about 75 percent of our attendees were repeaters so you always want to give them the newest material. The other 25 percent are first-timers so you want to provide them with the overview to understand the philosophy behind the Zone. I think we did a pretty good job of doing both.
Our first leg of the cruise started from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan. This gave me a day at sea to give a short introduction to the Zone along with tips on mastering the Zone, especially on a cruise ship. This was followed by a talk by Dr. Daniela Morandi on her experiences as my top Zone Coach in Europe in dealing with the obstacles that people have in making dietary changes. Unless you understand those obstacles, success is always less than expected.
As usual our daily drop-in centers were a centerpiece of the cruise as they represent free-ranging discussions on virtually every topic on nutrition that you can possibly imagine.
After a couple of stops in St. Kitts and St. Maarten, it was back to the science of the Zone, including the newest clinical results in treating ‘untreatable’ diseases like macular degeneration and severe brain trauma.
Finally, we ended our last day at sea with discussions on the markers of wellness and the essence of living an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Of course, having prepared Zone gourmet meals morning, noon, and night made living in the Zone incredibly easy. Returning to Fort Lauderdale meant the usual hugs and commitments to return to next Zone Cruise in 2015 to maintain those friendships that make these cruises so memorable.