By Sue Knorr
Would you like to eat a healthier diet but think it’s too time consuming, especially if cooking is involved? Consider an omelet. They make a very satisfying meal and can be whipped up in a minimal amount of time with little effort. The best omelets for the Zone are those made with egg whites only. Pass on the yolks. Too hard to make an omelet, you say? Not at all. This one serves two and is made all in one pan. Now get out your skillet, and in no time at all you’ll be sitting down to this absolutely fantastic meal. And that’s no exaggeration. It’ll give you tons of energy and keep hunger at bay for hours. Enjoy!
INSIDE OUT OMELET
This omelet is named for its unique appearance. Some of the veggies show through on the outside.
Ingredients for the Omelet
- 2 teaspoons Light Olive Oil (save the extra-virgin olive oil for salad dressings and other unheated applications)
- 1¼ cups Sweet Onions, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes (medium size), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 8 Egg Whites, slightly beaten
- 3 strips Turkey Bacon, previously cooked and chopped
- 3/8 cup Reduced-Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Chives, snipped, to taste — reserve 1 tablespoonful for garnish
Ingredients to Complete the Meal
- ½ cup Hummus (roasted red pepper flavor is a good choice with this omelet)
- 2 cups Mixed Berries, divided evenly between two bowls
- Briefly heat the olive oil in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Turn the heat down a little bit, add the onion, and saute several minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until the onions are translucent, and the tomatoes have softened a little.
- Reduce to low heat and add the egg whites to the pan, stirring a few times, just enough to evenly distribute the vegetables.
- When the eggs are almost set but still very soft, distribute the turkey bacon, mozzarella cheese and snipped chives evenly over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to suit you taste. Immediately, gently fold the omelet in half.
- Continue to heat through until the cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from the heat, cut the omelet in half and place each half on a separate plate.
- Divide the hummus evenly, placing 1/4 cup aside of the omelet on each plate.
- Garnish with the reserved snipped chives
Serve immediately, accompanied by the bowls of berries.