Enjoy these three Zone-approved bean recipes: Black Bean Salad with Avocado, Turkey and Cheese, Green Beans Italian Style, and Shrimp With Tri-Bean Salad.
Black Bean Salad with Avocado, Turkey and Cheese
Two 3-block meals
- 1/3 avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 cups cucumbers
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 1/2 cups small diced red onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tabasco Sauce, to taste
- 2 ounces julienne turkey breast
- 1 diced yellow pepper
- 4 ounces low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine all ingredients, except the shredded cheese, in a bowl, adding Tabasco sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss well.
- Sprinkle the shredded Monterey Jack on top of the salad
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Green Beans Italian Style
4 carbohydrate blocks and 4 fat blocks
- 1 1/3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced onions
- 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 small bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- Melt olive oil in a medium-size, non-stick saucepan.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook the green beans.
- Make a smooth paste of flour and water.
- Drain excess liquid from beans, if necessary, and add to the tomatoes and onion mixture.
- Slowly stir in flour and water mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Choose your favorite 4 blocks of protein to accompany this vegetable dish.
Shrimp With Tri-Bean Salad
Servings, two (four blocks each)
- 12 ounces shrimp
- 1/2 cup cooked kidney beans
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups green beans, diagonal cut
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- Romaine lettuce, diced
- 2 2/3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon parsley
- Salt to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine oil, vinegar, chives, basil, black pepper, kidney beans, chickpeas, green beans and onion to form a Tri-Bean Salad.
- Place mixing bowl in refrigerator to allow vegetables to marinate.
- In saucepan, poach shrimp in boiling water with wine and bay leaves until cooked.
- Remove shrimp from saucepan and cool.
- Arrange a bed of lettuce on two large plates.
- In the center of the plates on the lettuce place a mound of salad.
- Place the shrimp around the salad and sprinkle with parsley.
- Chill and serve.