By Kathleen Carlson:
Enjoy these three Zone-approved apple recipes: Apple-Cinnamon Crepe, Apple Jumble Zinger and Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad.
2 servings; 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters-whites
- 1/3 cup soy flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil – divided
- 1 cup 1% milk
- Cooking spray – olive oil
- 1 small red Delicious Apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup cooked steel-cut oatmeal
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- In a small mixing bowl, combine egg whites, flour, oil and milk to form a batter. (This amount of batter will make four crepes).
- Generously spray two saute or crepe pans with olive oil cooking spray and heat to medium/high.
- Add a quarter of the batter to pan. Cover pan with another saute or crepe pan.
- Cook on medium-high heat until bottom is set, and crepe will move easily in pan.
- To turn crepe over, securely place second pan over first and turn pan over. The crepe will then be in the second saute pan.
- The second side of the crepe should cook for only a minute or so to color it. Transfer crepe to serving plate and repeat process to make three more crepes. (If you need more oil in the crepe pan, give it another spray.)
- Place apples, applesauce, oatmeal, Canadian bacon and cinnamon in a saute pan to form crepe filling.
- Using low heat, cook mixture until apples are tender.
- When ready, divide filling among the four crepes by placing it in a line along the center of each crepe.
- Fold over the sides to make a tri-fold.
- Serve immediately, two crepes per plate.
Apple Jumble Zinger
1 serving; 10 minutes.
- 6 egg whites – hard boiled the night before, yolks discarded
- 1 apple
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 1/2 tbsps raw ginger (or to taste)
- 2 tbsps raw almonds
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Hard boil 6 eggs the night before (discard yolks).
- Process all together in food processor or blender until chunky cereal size.
This also makes a great lunch. Just switch out the eggs for 3 oz turkey.
Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad
Prep: 20 minutes; Yield 4-blocks.
- Curried Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 cup organic low-fat yogurt (14 grams protein + 19 grams carbs); 1 1/3 cups if yogurt does not contain non-fat dry milk
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise or 4 tablespoons Nayonnaise (soy-based sandwich spread)
- 4 teaspoons fructose powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley or cilantro
- 10 cups romaine hearts, washed, spun dry, and thinly sliced
- 14 ounces cooked chicken breast or combination breast and thigh meat, shredded or cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 small tart-sweet apples, cored and minced
- 1/2 cup minced Walla Walla Sweet or Vidalia onions
- 12 cups minced celery hearts or celery sticks
- 24 cashews, raw or lightly toasted, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, fructose, curry powder, and parsley or cilantro. Stir and set aside.
- Divide salad greens between 4 serving plates or containers with snap-on lids.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt dressing and stir to coat, then spoon over greens and serve.
- Replace endive and escarole with romaine lettuce.