I am not a vegetarian but I love this recipe.
6 - 3 Block Meals
18 Jumbo pasta shells
13 oz. Marinara Sauce
2 – 12 oz. blocks Extra-firm tofu, drained
1 - 10 oz. package spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 cloves Garlic
½ medium Onion, peeled and quartered
¼ cup Fresh basil leaves
3 oz. Shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. Dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Spread ½ cup. Marinara sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13” baking dish.
3. Put tofu and all remaining ingredients except cheese, pasta shells and marinara sauce into a food processor and puree; add oil as needed.
4. Transfer tofu mixture to a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag.
5. Snip off a bottom corner of the bag and squeeze about 3 TBSP of the mixture into each shell. Arrange shells over the sauce in the baking dish.
6. Drizzle the shells with remaining marinara sauce and cover the baking dish tigetly with foil. Bake 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil, sprinkle shells with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
To counted the blocks, I used the printed nutritional content from the various packaged products (pasta, tofu & spinach). While the blocks aren’t exact, the beauty of this is that it can be used as a side dish or a main course by varying the number of shells that you eat. It will also store for later reheating and is not a bad snack. Nutritional facts include proteins from vegetables and grains. The Zone discounts these, therefore, we added in extra protein.
I think it tastes even better with re-heating.
You could also make the same recipe with parmesan and/or mozarella cheese for a more Italiano touch.