Zone Cruising without gaining weight
A week before our yearly Zone Cruise in March I received this email.
“I am a fitness instructor onboard a cruise ship, and I meet people every cruise from all over the world, and all are overweight. My job is to keep the guests nice and healthy. The average cruiser gains between 7-14 lbs on a seven-day cruise. I have guests currently with us for 36 days!”
Our first night of the cruise, Jason, the ship’s cruise director, said, “Well, here we are. You finally made it. We are here to serve you so get your money’s worth. Eat as much as you want. There’s always food available 24/7.”
Looking at the people on the ship, it appeared that most of the guests had a bulging head start. Maybe their goal was to maintain and gain even more. Their breakfast plates looked like mini pyramids with pastries stack high. Their lunch and dinner plates at the buffet would equal any Sumo wrestler’s meal.
It’s interesting to note that our Zone Cruisers learned the latest health information from Dr. Sears and did not gain weight. In fact, they lost between 3 to 5 pounds, enjoying five-star Zone cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. How is that possible? They simply followed the basic Zone rules:
- Replace grains and starches with non-starchy vegetables. This will reduce the levels of insulin that makes a person fat and keeps them fat. Corn, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and cereal are foods you want to replace with colorful veggies.
- Always consume a small portion of lean protein (about the size of your palm) with lots of colorful, non-starchy vegetables.
- Supplement with at least 2.5 grams (2,500mg) of EPA & DHA per day. These fatty acids will reduce cellular inflammation as well as help to burn fat faster when you exercise.
- Radically reduce your intake of omega-6 fats. That’s vegetable oils -- soybean, corn, sunflower and safflower found in all processed and prepared foods. These fats drive cellular inflammation, which is the underlying cause of obesity. Use olive oil and the other “best choice” oils listed in Dr. Sears’ books and Web sites.
- Go to sleep before the midnight buffet.
Here’s a quick recap of Dr. Sears’ onboard lectures.
- Why Do We Gain Weight, Get Sick and Age Faster? The reason is increased cellular inflammation. Solution? Follow the Zone Diet and supplement with omega-3s and polyphenols. Cellular inflammation is explained at: http://www.zonediet.com/blog/2012/01/what-is-cellular-inflammation/
- The Power of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Polyphenols. If you are following the Zone, the need for additional supplements is minimized. However, you do need those that have powerful anti-inflammatory properties: omega-3s and polyphenols. One of the most promising polyphenols is the maqui berry.
- The Future of Health Care. The day of reckoning is upon us as the obese baby boomers line up to collect their benefits. Unfortunately, those who are obese have more than twice the yearly costs in Medicare payments. If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it’s free! What’s the alternative? Ration medical services or print more money. Both will be disastrous. You’d better retake control of your life by following an anti-inflammatory diet like the Zone!
(Dave is giving us the highlights of Dr. Sears’ last Zone Cruise in March 2012, which went to the Caribbean. Join us next year as we head to Bermuda.)