Say good-bye to cravings
By Sue Knorr
Cravings got you down? My food cravings went away when I started following the Zone Diet. The change was so abrupt I couldn't believe it at first. I used to have cravings all day long, and suddenly I was satisfied 24/7. Back in the day, I would watch TV at night with a bag of chips and a container of sour cream for dip. When we'd run out of snack food, I'd be scouring the cabinets for anything I could get my hands on. The 100 pounds of excess weight I used to carry around were proof of my constant cravings. Sometimes I'd be so desperate to snack I'd take a spoonful of peanut butter and mix in breakfast cereal for a makeshift cookie. Then I scrounged around some more to find that stray cracker, a marshmallow or the last few chocolate chips in the bag. I was a prime example of cravings gone out of control.
How is it possible to lose cravings? The Zone Diet gives you hormonal control that results in excellent appetite control with no hunger and no cravings. There's no deprivation involved. Now I find myself having to remember to eat lunch because I'm simply not hungry. The details of the science behind this are explained in Zone books. Basically, eating balanced meals and snacks composed of lean protein, lots of non-starchy vegetables, some fruit and a dash of monounsaturated fat results in lower insulin levels and less cellular inflammation. With this combination of low levels of both insulin and inflammation, a cascade of good hormonal changes is set into motion, and your cravings are history. It really works.
Tips to lose your cravings
- Eat lots of non-starchy vegetables.
- Never let more than five hours go by without eating a Zone-balanced meal or snack.
- Drink plenty of water
- Make sure you're eating enough by finding out your protein requirement with the Body Fat Calculator on Zonediet.com
- Take the four-hour hunger test to see if your meals are balanced to meet your unique needs. The first step is to eat a delicious Zone-balanced meal. The second step is to wait four hours and then judge how you feel. If you're not hungry, that's great. Don't change a thing. If you're hungry with good mental focus, try adding a little more carbohydrate the next time you eat that meal. If you're hungry and lacking focus, eat a bit less carbohydrate with that meal next time. A food diary is excellent for experimenting to eliminate hunger. Remember to record how you feel four hours after each meal.
- Be a little bit generous with the added dash of monounsaturated fat. A little more fat in your diet will keep the hunger at bay and help ward off the cravings. No worries because it won't be enough extra fat to stop your weight loss.
- If you just can't escape that nighttime snacking, try taking 5 grams of OmegaRx with your evening meal. It works wonders.
Until next time, Happy Zoning!