Start this chicken dish cooking in a slow cooker before you leave home to run errands, or leave it to cook while you do laundry or yard work. This recipe comes from “Zone Meals in Seconds.”
4 - 4 Block Meals
4 small chicken breast halves, skin removed
12 sundried tomato halves, quartered
1½ cups onion, cut in thin half-moons
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
½ cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
½ Tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. herbs de Provence or Italian herb blend
8 Tsp. cornstarch or arrowroot dissolved
¼ cup apple cider
2 Tbsp. pine nuts
¾ cup frozen pitted sweet cherries
4 peaches, halved, pitted, and sliced or 3 cups frozen sliced, unsweetened peaches, thawed
¼ Tsp. cinnamon
1 Tsp. pure vanilla extract
Veggies with vinaigrette:
16 oz. bag frozen Birds Eye frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and water chestnuts plus 1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. organic red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 Tsp. dry mustard plus 2 tablespoons water
1 Tbsp. plus 1/3 Tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Layer chicken, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, wine, spices, and herbs in 3½-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
2. Dissolve arrowroot in cold juice, add to slow cooker, cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
3. Combine fruit, cinnamon, and vanilla. Toss; then divide between 4 serving bowls.
4. Bring ½ cup water to boil in 1½ quart saucepan. Add frozen vegetables, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain and transfer to 4 small salad plates. Whisk vinegar, mustard, and water, then drizzle over vegetables.
5. Transfer hot chicken and sauce to 4 shallow serving bowls. Garnish with pine nuts and serve immediately with vegetables.