Servers 4 - 4 block meals
1 lb + 4oz. (20oz) ground turkey
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced,br> 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 15oz.can tomato sauce
1 28oz.can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup black olives sliced
4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise in long strips
3 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise in long strips
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
Salt & pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) In a large skillet over med-high heat sauté ground turkey until brown and cooked throughout, (no pink). Remove to a platter.
3) In same skillet add olive oil, onions, garlic, and spices. When onions are translucent add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, olives and ground turkey. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
4) In a baking dish spread a small amount of tomato/turkey mixture on bottom. Layer strips of zucchini and summer squash with sauce. Top with mozzarella.
5) Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until cheese is brown and bubbly.
6) Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Optional: may be served with tossed salad.