This slow-cooker recipe is from "Zone Meals in Seconds."
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 4 to 6 hours
4 - 4 Block Meals
Start this chicken dish cooking in a slow cooker before you leave home to run errands, or leave it to cook while you do laundry or yard work.
4 small chicken breast halves, skin removed
12 sun-dried tomato halves, quartered
1 1/2 cups onion, cut in thin half-moons
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon herbs de Provence or Italian herb blend
8 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot dissolved
1/4 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons pine nuts
3/4 cup frozen pitted sweet cherries, thawed
4 peaches, halved, pitted, and sliced or 3 cups frozen sliced, unsweetened peaches, thawed
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
16 ounce bag frozen Birds Eye frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and water chestnuts plus 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoon organic red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard plus 2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon plus 1/3 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Layer chicken, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, wine, spices, and herbs in 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
2. Dissolve arrowroot in cold juice, add to slow cooker, cover and cook on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
3. Combine fruit, cinnamon, and vanilla. Toss; then divide between 4 serving bowls.
4. Bring 1/2 cup water to boil in 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Add frozen vegetables, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain and transfer to four small salad plates. Whisk vinegar, mustard, and water, then drizzle over vegetables.
5. Transfer hot chicken and sauce to four shallow serving bowls. Garnish with pine nuts and serve immediately with vegetables.